Credit to this dish goes to my sister Anu. I am not a big broccoli fan but I love this stir fry and its my Mom’s favorite too. A “thalasan” is a Konkani dish refers to any vegetable that is stir fried with garlic and chillies. Broccoli is not traditionally used in Konkani cooking or for that matter in Indian cooking, however it does taste very well when stir fried with garlic.
- Broccoli florets - 1 lb
- Garlic cloves - 5, chopped lengthwise
- Red chillies - 4, each broken into half
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Heat oil. Put in the chopped garlic. Fry till garlic turns golden.
Add the red chillies and fry for a few seconds.
Put in the broccoli florets and mix well.
When almost done, add salt to taste.
- A little more than usual oil is required because you do not add water to this dish. It is cooked just by frying on medium flame.
- If you add salt in the beginning of the cooking process, water content from the vegetable is released and it makes the dish soggy.
- I like to remove it from heat when the broccoli florets still have a slight crunch to it.