This dish was the first of many preparations that I learnt from my mother-in-law. It was also the first recipe I ever posted in the late 90’s on Bawarchi.com. At my in-laws’ house, this dish is always prepared whenever they make fried fish. Tomato rice and fried fish is an awesome combination!
- Basmati Rice- 1 cup
- Onions, 2 medium sized - sliced
- Tomatoes, 2 - chopped finely
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp (or depending on your taste)
- Cinnamon - 1/2 to 1" piece
- Cloves - 3
- Bay leaves - 2
- Black cardamom - 1 whole
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Green peas - 1 small cup (optional)
- Cilantro or coriander leaves - 1/4 bunch, chopped fine.
Heat oil in a pan or a pressure cooker.
Season with bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon & cardamom.
When the cloves pop, put in the sliced onions & fry till light brown.
Add the chopped tomatoes & fry well till the tomatoes are soft.
Put in the ginger garlic paste & the red chilli powder & fry well.
Add the washed rice, green peas (optional), salt to taste & the required amount of water.
Mix well & allow it to cook till the rice is done.
Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve hot with onion, tomato & cucumber raita.