Rajesh made this daal for me just after we were married. This is my mother in law’s recipe and is very easy to make. It is different from the daals we usually make in the sense that this daal contains eggs. I had posted this recipe on Bawarchi.com in the late 90s.
- Yellow Pigeon Peas/Toor Daal - 1 cup.
- Onions - 2 small, chopped finely.
- Tomatoes - 2 small, chopped finely.
- Garlic cloves - 5, chopped finely.
- Ginger - 1" piece, chopped finely.
- Red chilli pwdr - 1 tsp (or depending on your taste).
- Turmeric pwdr - 1/4 tsp.
- Garam masala pwdr - 1/2 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Ghee/Butter - 1 -2 tblsp for seasoning.
- Eggs - 3.
- Coriander leaves - For garnishing.
Cook the Yellow pigeon peas/toor daal in a pressure cooker till done. (As far as possible, cook it adding very little water).
Heat ghee/butter. Add the finely chopped onions & fry till light brown.
Then put in the chopped garlic & ginger. Fry till soft.
Add the chopped tomatoes & fry till the tomatoes are a little soft.
Put in the turmeric, garam masala & chilly powder. Fry for about 5 minutes.
Now put in the cooked daal, mix well & add salt to taste.
Lightly beat the egss in a bowl.
When almost done, pour the beaten egss directly into the daal. Keep stirring. Remove immediately from heat.
Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with white rice, jeera rice or rotis.
- You can use store bought ginger garlic paste, I like to use freshly chopped ginger and garlic since it gives a different taste.
- Do not make this dish too watery, it needs to be fairly thick in consistency.
- Rajesh likes to eat this with bread that is slightly toasted.