Growing up in India, it used to be a vegetarian fare predominantly at home because my mom is a vegetarian. Potato was my all time favorite vegetable and after potatoes, French beans comes a close second. I love any dish made with french beans. I make different kinds of stir fryes with beans and this is one of them.
- French beans - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Black gram (urad daal) - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, finely chopped
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Red chillies - 4 (more or less depending on your taste)
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Desiccated coconut - 1 tbsp (or more if you want)
- Cilantro for garnish
Heat oil and season with mustard seeds. When the seeds splutter, put in the black gram and fry for a few seconds till they turn light brown.
Put in the finely chopped garlic and fry till they turn golden brown.
Also put in the red chillies and the curry leaves. Fry for a few seconds.
Add the chopped beans and mix well. Cook on medium flame for 5-7 minutes.
Put in the turmeric, coriander powders and salt to taste and mix well. Turn off the flame and put in the desiccated coconut and cilantro.
Serve hot with rice and daal or with rotis.
- The beans that we get here in the US gets cooked pretty quickly. So I do not add any water when I am cooking the beans because of which I cook them on low to medium flame.
- The amount of time required to cook the beans is totally up to you as to how crunchy or how soft you want the beans to be.